World Holocaust Memorial Day - Black Triangle

1/27/2012 08:49:00 am BenefitScroungingScum 5 Comments

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak out because I was Protestant.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Most of us are familiar with the words of Pastor Neimoller, but we are much less familiar with the true origins of the holocaust. The first victims of the Nazi holocaust were the 'anti-socials', mostly disabled people, those with mental health problems and learning disabilities. Marked with a black triangle, labelled as 'useless eaters' and an economic drain, the Nazi's learnt how to exterminate other human beings by experimenting on these vulnerable people with Zyklon B gas, techniques that would later be refined in order to commit the mass murder of millions of people. Rabbi Debbie Young-Somers of the West London Synagogue has blogged the powerful and moving speech of one of her congregants, Dani Neumann to explain how and why the extermination of disabled people sowed the seeds of the later mass genoicide of Jews, homosexuals, gypsies, communists and other 'undesirable' groups.

To mark World Holocaust Memorial day please remember....

"First they came for the disabled people
and I did not speak out because I wasn't disabled...."


5 comments:

tony said...

Pushing The Analogy Even Further..........At The Moment ,The Labour Party Seems To Be Playing The Role Of The Ghetto Police

JayneL said...

Not a pleasant blog but an essential one Kaliya. Can you think of any way to carry the Spartacus reaction going; if not I think this might be another case of "history repeating.

Thanks for being brave.

Anonymous said...

Arbeit Mecht Frei - as many of us now know: "freedom through work".
Those were the wrought iron words above the gate at Dachau concentration camp.
Ring any bells?

alhi said...

I didn't realise that about the Nazis.

I've still been following you and supporting you and told your story to a friend who is now working on reform of DLA: not the policy/legal side but the economic.

Take care of yourselves.

Alhi

Anonymous said...

Then they came for those who wear low cut tops, touch their hair, and push themselves forward. I was not one of them, so I did not speak.